Monday, October 09, 2006

Guitars, Cadillacs...

On Friday night I went to see Dwight Yoakam play at the NAC. I love, love, love his music - it has a power over me that I can't quite explain. His albums don't do justice to the live performances, though. The albums seem almost subdued compared to live shows. Live, he present a wall of sound. Loud (very loud), raw, intense. Amazing.

I attended a Dwight concert in Vancouver several eons ago. The sounds at BC Place was terrible, and Dwight sang for a scant 60 minutes. I saw disappointed at the length of the show, but still thrilled to have seen him in concert. On Friday though, Dwight did not disappoint. He sang for a solid 2-1/2 hours. And since he doesn't chat much on stage, it really was a solid 2-1/2 hours of music. I was so excited to hear him and see him and disappointed when it came to an end....I wanted to rewind the evening and start over again! Sigh. I didn't take any pictures, although Southam Hall was alive with cameras.

Three days later I'm still buzzing about the show....oh how I want to talk to someone about this. It's the first time that I've been to an event and really wanted someone special to share it with. I've never felt that void before - but, along with the excitement of the concert, I'm feeling that void. A new awareness for me, I guess.

We celebrate thanksgiving with friends of the family yesterday, and I stopped by Melanie's blog to wish her and her little family thanksgiving wishes as well. I spent all of today knitting edge #3 of the little blanket my office knitting team has created for the United Way/Charitable Campaign Auction. I have to deliver it no later than Wednesday, and the auction is on Thursday. I'll post photos as soon as the blanket is done.

No comments: