Friday, November 10, 2006

Starstruck by surprise


I went to hear the Yarn Harlot (you know the link) speak last night. She was funny and eloquent, as usual. Ottawa knitters are a roudy bunch and I hid at the back of the crowd, as I tend to do. I'd brought two books with me for her to sign, and had decided ahead of time that I wouldn't take photos.

I couldn't decide what to wear - so many shawls, so few shoulders. I opted Shoalwater as she seems to be the shawl of the moment for me and is getting a great deal of wear these days. I did contemplate the Shetland Lace shawl and, in hindsight I should have brought it along with me.

Here's why:

When I made to the front of the line for my signing, I attempted small by mentioning that I had left a message on the Yarn Harlot's blog about my more than 1,000 stitch shawl, and that I had contemplated bringing it but didn't. She remembered my post and told me to email photos of the shawl. At this point I'm feeling less invisible, but still calm and collected. Stephanie then complemented Shoalwater and I said "It's sock yarn". She looked again and said "That's Megaboots. I heard about that shawl." The sock was promptly thrust in my direction, with the order to turn around...and the Yarn Harlot snapped my picture for her blog. I had no idea what was going on, and when I finally clued in I was, well, starstruck. I still am. Who knew.

Thanks Stephanie, you made my day!

(The KSF pin is backed by the orange boucle mohair wrap cardigan that really, really needs to be finished.)

No comments: