Monday, May 28, 2007

Alive and knitting

I can't believe it's been a month since I last blogged. I've been knitting - honest I have. Daffodil is on it's second incarnation and about to enter a third. I wasn't happy with the fit of the first version, so I tore it all apart and started over. I'm much, much happier with version two, but the neckline's been causing me distress. So I'm tearing her back to the start of the neckline and re-working (again).

No progress to report on the Alpaca shawl. I did the math I needed to do - now I need to finish Daffodil, and Mitts for Mary, and then the shawl. And my "homework" for knitting camp. Did I mention I'm going to knitting camp?

Things I have been working on:


A bear for Ki, made from the snowboots of her best friend who passed away in January:







A bunny for H, made for the top of the wall between our office cubicles. To replace the crappy paper drawing I had thrown up. I used the Purl bee pattern and had fun with the clothes. She has a Koigu sweater, stretch denim slacks with a grosgrain belt, a calico blouse and a glass bead necklace. The face is blank - I'm working on some removable expressions so we can keep her dynamic. Bunny remains upright thanks to a ruler jammed into her belt. She's very accomodating.












On Saturday Mum and I took a trip to Upper Canada Village to browse their heritage plant sale. I hung out at the wollen mill and visited with the sheep (of course) and bought some of their roving at the gift shop. If you're wondering, about half of their houses are wheelchair accesible, and the roads aren't hard to wheel on at all. Everyone at the village was lovely and accomodating when they saw me wheel up with mum and her chair. Here's a couple of pictures from our day out.



This one's my favourite. I think it's because she was ungarded - just being herself, not posing for the camera, not trying to be something she's not. There's something about this moment that seems really, well, Mum-like.


No comments: